How to apply for a contractual license
(a) Only persons who have registered themselves as contractor under these rules are entitled to submit tenders for works.
The term 'works' includes (i) civil works and (ii) water supply and sanitary installation works.
(b) Civil Works & Water Supply & Sanitary Installation Works .- A contractor who is in the register of any circle in the Kerala P.W.D/Irrigation department., can tender for these works in all the circles in the State. A contractor who is in the register of any Division in a particular circle, which has jurisdiction throughout the State, can tender for these works in all the Divisions including Subdivisions under that Circle and one in the register of a Subdivision can tender in all the Sub- divisions of that Division. Temporary special Divisions or Special Subdivisions are not authorized to register contracts or renew their registration.
- For the purpose of registration, the contractors will be classified into four separate categories on the basis of their financial resources, professional experience and records, as follows.-
(i) A Category.-Those who are entitled to tender for all works in any office
(ii) B Category. -Those who are entitled to tender for all works upto Rs. 55 lakhs in any office.
(iii) C Category.-Those who are entitled to tender for works upto Rs. 15 lakhs within the area of jurisdiction of circle, where registered.
(iv) D Category.-Those who are entitled to tender for works upto Rs. 6 lakhs in a Division, where he is registered.
- Registering Authority
(a) The application for registration as contractor should he supported by a solvency certificate issued by the Revenue Department or a bank guarantee by a bank approved by Government (a Scheduled Bank) under the Bank Guarantee Scheme as follows-
Note:-The guarantee of the banks approved by Government (Scheduled Banks) under the Bank Guarantee Scheme will be accepted.
(b) Limits for various categories of contractors for taking up work
(c) Application for registration as a contractor should be supported by details about his financial stability and also his previous experience in works. Contractors for Water Supply and Sanitary Installation works should produce the plumbing licence issued by the competent authority along with the application for registration.
- (a) The Registering authority will then scrutinise the applications for registration. He will then satisfy himself as to the financial capacity of the applicant and also his ability to take up and carry out the works in a particular category. He can if so needed, direct the contractor to produce before him satisfactory evidence towards this. If he is satisfied that the applicant can be registered as a contractor, he will be intimated of the fact (in Form II) and will be asked to remit a registration fee at the following rates :
The applicant will be registered as a contractor after remittance of this fee. The registration fee is not refundable. If for any reason, the contractor is not found fit for being registered, he will be intimated so. But this must only be a bare intimation of the fact that he is not being included in the list of registered contractors.
(b) If any application for registration as a contractor is rejected, the registering authority should register in writing his reasons for denying registration. He should also intimate confidentially his reasons for denial to any application for registration to his next superior authority.
(c) No appeal will lie against this decision.
- After registration of a person as contractor a registration card will be issued to him under the seal and signature of the registering officer in Form III. This card should be referred to in all the tenders submitted by him and be produced by the contractor, if and when called for by any officer of the P.W.D. If the original registration card is lost the authority competent to issue the original registration card may, on request made by the Contractor, after enquiring the bonafides and after obtaining an indemnity bond executed from the contractor, issue a duplicate registration card after levying a fine of Rs. 25 from the contractor along with the application for the duplicate card.
- (a) The registration issued is valid only for two financial years. [GO(P)No.96/PW dated 23/03/1971].Registration cards are to be renewed every two years. Application for renewal in the prescribed application form are to be submitted before 1st January together with bank guarantee solvency certificate. This may, however, be extended up to 31st January, after realising a fine of Rs. 150 for such late application [GO(P)No.84/97/PWD&T dated 19/08/1997]. Following fees shall be remitted for renewal of registration.
(b) The registering authority can renew the registration or refuse to do so at his discretion following directions for registration as in para 4. He may refuse renewal for the following reasons:
(i) Not being satisfied of the financial stability of the applicant.
(ii) Failure to execute satisfactorily a previous contract.
(iii) Poor quality of works executed..
(iv) Failure to put up schedule of progress of works or works taken up by the applicant previously.
(v) Or any other matter which, in the opinion of the registering authority, is undesirable.
- A contractor who fails to get his registration renewed for an year can apply afresh the next year for registration only as a new contractor.
- The registering authority shall, before 1st March, issue the renewal card or intimate the fact of having refused the request for renewal.
- A list of applications for registration and renewal shall be maintained by each registering authority in Form VII. The reasons for refusal should be clearly specified in the register. The register will be confidential record in the custody of the registering authority. But it will be open to inspection by his superior officer and by Audit.
- In case a, contractor desires to be enlisted simultaneously as a registered contractor for executing non-electrical works also he may make the required deposit in the appropriate category either for electrical work or non-electrical works where the deposit is the highest.
- Application of the Rules.-These rules will not apply for the registration of L.C.C. Societies, B.S.S. and other workers' bodies which are governed by separate Government Orders and also in respect of works which are executed under the famine relief and flood relief rules.